My Year in Books: 2015

2015 has passed and now we're in the beautiful, exciting 2016! Whoo! I mean by the looks of it, it the world is nearly apocalyptic (Daesh, Donald Trump, global warming, economy slowing down) but hey, that's what they say in 2000 and 2012 and look where we're at now!

So, I would like to chronicle my year in books, compiled from my Goodreads account:

Number of books I read: 71

Books by female authors: 47 (66%)
Books by male authors: 24 (34%)

Books by white male authors: 22 (31%)
Books by non-white male authors: 2 (3%)
Books by white female authors: 40 (56%)
Books by non-white female authors: 7 (10%)

Fiction books: 63 (88%)
Non-fiction books: 8 (12%)

Novels/novellas: 48 (68%)
Short stories: 6 (9%)
Comics: 5 (7%)
Plays: 4 (5%)
Essays: 4 (5%)
Biographies/Memoirs: 1 (2%)
Other non-fiction books: 3 (4%)

Looking at the stats above, I see that I have fulfilled my 2015 New Year's resolution of reading more books, particularly by women. But the number of books that I read by people of color is sadly very lacking. In response to that, my New Year's resolution for 2016 is to read more books by non-white authors. I have already started that by going in 70% into Eka Kurniawan's book, Beauty is a Wound, but because I have finals, I may not be able to finish it for another week or so.

Thanks for sticking by with me in 2015, and I hope we'll have lots of fun again in 2016! Happy New Year!

0 comments:

Post a Comment