Review: The A-List by Zoey Dean

Y'all know I love trashy rich people stories. Gossip Girls, Crazy Rich Asians; I live for them. I even watched Rich Kids of Beverly Hills and the Real Housewives series. If your novel has the rich and elite doing stupid fucked-up shit, I guarantee you I will eat it up like a spoon.

Which is why I finished this novel, even though it's so "meh" and "boring." The only reason why I chose this in the first place is because a writer at Buzzfeed told me that if I like Gossip Girls I should read this book. Buzzfeed's book recs can be a bit iffy (The Mortal Instruments series are not one of the best YA series ever, Buzzfeed) they've done me solid with The Wrath and the Dawn before so I decided to give this book a try. And it's just so meh.

The prose is grammatically-correct and very simple, but not in the Hemingway kind. In fact, because it is so simplistic, it's  insipid. As a result, the characters are flat. I wish I could say that the characters are inconsistent, because that would mean they have personality in the first place. Anna can be interesting, but she's just boring. Sam and Cammie are cliches. Dee is practically useless. Ben...I don't even know. The good thing is, it's so short that I could finish it before the boredom really gets me. If this book is more than 500 pages like Fatherland I would've dropped it. That's how boring they are.

Look, I read trashy rich people stories for a reason: to gawk at them. I like watching the rich and powerful making a fool of themselves; it shows that they are still human, like us plebes. Not to mention, the sheer escapism of imagining you have an eight-figure trust fund and a closet full of designer clothes. i read these kind of stories to feel entertained with the thought of someone throwing a glass of 2004 Dom Perignon at someone's face. The A-List does the opposite. I feel no entertainment at all when I watch these kids smoke a joint or do a mass skinny-dipping.

That said, I will so read the next installment if I have the time lol.

0 comments:

Post a Comment