Across the Universe

I've been in a Beatles mood recently, listening to the Across the Universe soundtrack and the Fab Four's own albums. For those who don't know Across the Universe is a musical film set in 1960s America about a bunch of alternative young adults living during the Vietnam War-era and struggling with their identity. It features a lot of cover of the Beatles' song (their cover of "Come Together" is quite simply my favorite version of that song, the original included) and a lesbian cheerleader. It's also one of my favorite movies of all time. I first watched it when I was a teenager, I think, and it came to me by accident. When I was channel surfing, HBO was playing the movie, and I was intrigued by it and I ended up watching the whole thing. Across the Universe was my first foray to the Beatles as an angsty teenager. I know who they are, of course, but only in a name recognition basis. Across the Universe made me search for their song online for the first time and downloaded their massive discography using my old slow internet.

There's a lot of silly the Beatles song ("I Want to Hold Your Hand" and "I Am a Walrus" comes to mind) and I know that they're viewed as this really serious band now, but really in their time period, the Beatles were pretty much pop acts. I've seen people deride current pop stars such as Nicki Minaj as trashy while upholding the Beatles as an example of "good music", I'd like to think that in the 1950s and in the 1960s, there are also people who think the Beatles and Elvis were "trashy pop acts" and uphold jazz musicians like Louis Armstrong as an example of "good music." I'd like to think too that during the 1920s, jazz musicians were derided as "trashy" too and people were upholding classical music composer as an example of "good music."

But I'm not going to talk about how nostalgia affects the way we enjoy music; I'm here to share an appreciation for the Beatles and Across the Universe. Incidentally, one of my favorite Beatles song - indeed one of my favorite song of all time - is "Across the Universe." It's quite a coincidence that one of my favorite films and favorite songs have the same title. Although I think a part of my liking for it was fueled by the film Across the Universe, it's a great song in its own right. "Across the Universe" has such a peaceful melody that calms me no matter what, and the lyrics are so beautiful. These qualities also makes it a great writing song, because I always feel like I'm not quite here when it plays: I'm in 1960s America protesting the Vietnam War, I'm in a grassy meadow with a notebook and a pen in my hand, I'm curling down under a cozy window with a good book and a mug of tea in a chilly autumn day. Whenever I'm feeling angry, I just lay down on my bed while "Across the Universe" plays in full volume.

Another favorite the Beatles song of mine is "Dear Prudence." Like "Across the Universe" it has a calming melody and beautiful lyrics. But I like "Dear Prudence" for another reason. I'm a bit of an introvert and I would just curl up in my room doing nothing instead of going out. When I'm feeling lonely or especially lazy, I would play this song and it would put a smile on my face.

So, what's your favorite the Beatles song? And why do you like it so much? I'd love to hear what you guys think, it's nice to see how music can have many different effect in our life. Comment below.

0 comments:

Post a Comment